Thursday, November 29, 2012

About Me



        I have a very strong passion for weather.  It started when I wanted to know what to wear to kindergarten.  Every morning I would watch our local weather channel then run up the stairs to get dressed.  I still do that today!  I watch the Weather Channel, my favorite weather station, in my mom’s bedroom before I come downstairs in the morning, just like when I was a little kid.  
     Now, 7 years later, I am progressing with my study in weather, but some things never change.     I was in kindergarten 7 years ago.  Now I am homeschooled.  This makes it a bit easier to learn about weather.  I have different opportunities than if I was in school.  My plan is to intern at WSCU in western CT in January.  I was also given the opportunity  to work with the head of the meteorology program at WSCU.  We will be doing a hurricane project.
      I have done a lot on the study of weather.  I took an online class right in the midst of the tornado outbreak in 2011.  Ninth Ward, Dark Water Rising, Night of the Twisters and Escaping the Giant Wave are just a few of the the books I read and/or listened to.  Hurricane tracking and tornado lapbook making are also some things that I did.  I wrote to Stephanie Abrams from the Weather Channel.  Unfortunately, I never got a reply.  I would have loved it if she wrote back and said “Please come and meet me!”  That would be a dream come true.
This is me with Erika Grow when she worked
at News Channel 8.  We were able to get
a tour of the weather station from her!
     The point of my blog is to document what I have learned.  I will write about important things that are happening with the weather.  For example one day I might do a post on the 10 day forecast in the major cities.  The next day I might write about the latest update on Hurricane Sandy.  I post about my interests in weather and hope you will follow along with me.

5 comments:

  1. I am looking forward to seeing this blog develop. I know keeping a personal blog is not really your thing. I think this will be more exciting for you. What are you writing about next?????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I am going to do the major city forecast.

      Delete
  2. I love that yo are doing this! I know it's going to be great, and that I will learn a lot. I personally think that you should have weather trivia contests with prizes. That would be so fun! SO, so, FUN!
    And if you did not want to give away prizes you could maybe have your sister make a cupcake.
    And if you did not want to do that you could write really big,YEAH! KIM JUST WON THE NOT REAL PRIZE! YEAH KIM!!
    Like that, just like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grace, call me. It's 5:AM and I need to know what to wear today. Should it be shorts, long pants, a tee shirt, a sweater, jacket, boots or raincoat? All those choices! Hope you call soon. I'll be waiting for your forecast.

    By the way, how long have we been having this thing called weather? Seems to be quite the topic these days. When you look at it, for comparison sake, do you look at it in terms of a day, a week, a month, year, decade, millennium or longer?

    Whether weather becomes your career choice or not, it sure is interesting as its effects affects pretty much how we do what we do what we do when we do it whatever "it" might be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are looking forward to learn more about the weather through you!

    ReplyDelete